|Ghost Fleet of the Outer Banks|
In World War II, German submarines sand so many Allied tankers and cargo ships here that the waters earned a second sobering nickname ~~ Torpedo Junction. In the past 400 years the graveyard has claimed many lives, but island villagers have saved many. As early as the 1870s, villagers served in the U.S. Life Saving Service and staffed lighthouses built to guide mariners. When rescue attempts failed, villagers buried the dead and salvaged shipwreck remains. Few ships wreck today, but storms still uncover the ruins of old wrecks that lie along the beaches of the Outer Banks.
One of the shipwrecks was the Carroll A. Deering. In January 1921 with all sails set on its five masts the Deering was hard aground on outer Diamond Shoals. Due to the harsh seas, rescue was not able to begin until February. When the ship was finally boarded, it was discovered that the schooner had been abandoned by its crew. The ship's wheel was shattered, and the binnacle box smashed. Navigation instruments and charts, the log book, and the crew's personal belongings were missing along with the ship's two boats. In the galley, it appeared that a meal was being prepared. The ship's cats were the only living things found.
|Carroll A. Deering|
|Wreckage of the Carroll A. Deering|
|"Davy Jones Locker"|
|Debris from the Priscilla|
Debris from the Priscilla is scattered along the beach ~ August 1899. The mariner or passenger who has the misfortune to be shipwrecked is hospitably received. The bankers lend their active assistance in saving the cargo. Above, auction-goers arrive at the Priscilla public auction by shad boat, the traditional watercraft of the Carolina coast.